Written by Admin Portalhunt
Solomons Maryland is a fishing place located just 55 minutes south of the Washington beltway where the Patuxent River meets the Chesapeake Bay.
- Stroll the Riverwalk
- Charter a boat for a day of Chesapeake fishing or charter a sailing boat for a luxury cruise.
- Hop a jet ski, go kayaking, or rent a boat, and try your luck catching dinner
- Explore fossils from millions of years ago and tour the Drum Point Lighthouse at the Calvert Marine Museum
- Enjoy fine waterfront dining, unique antique and gift shops, quaint bed and breakfasts and fine hotels.
Whether you arrive here by automobile or by boat, you will find your journey has been worth it. Solomons Island is open all year round is a great place from which to explore Calvert County or the surrounding Southern Maryland region. You will find Solomons a place of uncommon charm and unspoiled beauty.
- Area: Land--27,556 sq. km. (11,599 sq. mi.). Archipelago--725,197 sq. km. (280,000 sq. mi.).
- Cities: Capital--Honiara (on the island of Guadalcanal), pop. 66,000 (2007). Other towns--Gizo, Auki, Kirakira.
- Terrain: Mountainous islands.
- Climate: Tropical monsoon.
- Nationality: Noun and adjective--Solomon Islander(s).
- Population (2011 est.): 571,890.
- Annual population growth rate (2011 est.): 2.2%.
- Ethnic groups (2010): Melanesian 93%, Polynesian 4%, Micronesian 1.5%, other 1.5%.
- Religions: Christian 92%--more than one-third Anglican (Archdiocese of Melanesia) 32.8%, Roman Catholic 19%, South Sea Evangelical 17%, United Church (Methodist) 10.3%, Seventh-day Adventist 11.2%.
- Languages: English (official); about 120 vernaculars, including Solomon Islands pidgin.
- Education (2010): Years compulsory--none. Attendance--79.6% primary school; 14% secondary school. Adult literacy--76.6%.
- Health (2011): Infant mortality rate--17.82/1,000. Life expectancy (2011)--74.18 years.
- Work force (202,500; 2009): Agriculture--75%; industry and commerce--5%; services--20%.
- Type: Parliamentary democracy within the Commonwealth.
- Constitution: May 1978.
- Independence: July 7, 1978.
- Branches: Executive--Queen Elizabeth II (head of state, represented by a governor general); prime minister (head of government). Legislative--50-member Parliament elected every 4 years. Judicial--high court plus magistrates court; system of custom land courts throughout islands.
- Subdivisions: Nine provinces and Honiara town.
- Major political parties: Association of Independent Members (AIM), People's Alliance Party (PAP), Solomon Islands Party for Rural Advancement Party (SIPRA), Democratic Party, National Party, Liberal Party, OUR Party, Peoples Progress Party.
- Suffrage: Universal over 18.
- National holiday: July 7.
- GDP (2010): $712 million.
- Annual growth rate (2010): 5.6%.
- Per capita income (2010): $1,357.
- Avg. inflation rate (2010): 3.0%.
- Natural resources: Forests, fish, agricultural land, marine products, gold.
- Agriculture: Products--copra, cocoa, palm oil, palm kernels and subsistence crops of yams, taro, bananas, pineapple.
- Industry: Types--fish canning, sawmilling, boats, rattan and wood furniture, fiberglass products, shell jewelry, tobacco, beer, clothing, soap, nails, handicrafts.
- Trade (December 2009): Exports--$322.1 million: timber, fish, cocoa, copra, palm oil. Major markets--China 50.2%, South Korea 5.7%, Thailand 3.3%, Japan 1.8%, Philippines 5.6%, Italy 3.4%, Spain 4.5%. Imports--$305.5 million: mineral fuels, food, machinery and transport equipment, and basic manufactures. Major suppliers--Australia 22.7%, Singapore 24.3%, New Zealand 4.9%, Fiji 4.4%, Papua New Guinea 4.3%, China 3.8%, Japan 3.1%.
- Average exchange rate (2009): U.S. $1 = SBD 8.05.
|< Prev||Next >|